Sunday, September 11, 2011

Calling all Moms!


HELP! Trent is the sweetest happiest little boy but his sleeping habits are HORRIBLE. He is almost 5 months old and sleeps in his crib. He has slept in his crib since day 1 and at around 2 months he started sleeping pretty good through the night. Then we went on vacation when he was 3 months and the only way he would sleep at night was with us in our bed. I really didn't want to put him in bed with us but I had to get sleep. I came back from those vacations and I started a night time routine where I would feed him and rock him and then I would put him down. In the beginning it was a transition and a little rough but he started sleeping 4 hours and then would wake up and feed and then sleep 4 hours again. Then about 2 weeks ago he started sleeping from 10-5 and would feed and then would go from 5:30-7:30 or 8. Now this last week he has been waking up every 2 hours and when he does wake up he is wide awake. He plays with his blanket, his toes and looks around. I go in and put his pacifier in his mouth and touch his hands and he goes back to sleep, I leave the room and then 5-10 min later he wakes back up again and I go in and start the routine all over. Sometimes it takes me 4-8 times to do that until he falls back asleep and sometimes it only takes me 2 times. Last night I was up with him for 2 hours. This also happens when I put him down for the night. An hour after I put him down he wakes up and does the same thing where he will go back to sleep and then 5-10 min later he's awake. It's really frustrating that I can't just put him down for the night and then go to bed myself because a half an hour or an hour after I put him down he wakes up. I don't eat sugar before bed and I give him pro biotics every day. I am at my wits end as I just got mastitis and now have a really bad cold. Also he doesn't sleep in his crib for naps which isn't something that I planned and I was going to try and transition him but I have been sick and don't have the patience. He takes about 4 naps a day. Usually two 1 and a half hour naps and then 30-50 min naps for the other 2. I just am not sure what to do. I am so tired! I need suggestions/advice/ if this is normal. If this doesn't make sense it's because I am so exhausted/sick that I can't really think straight.

2 comments:

vanessa said...

Oh Chelsea, I'm sorry it's been so rough! It's hard when you think you have something under control and then it gets messed up. Happens a lot with babies - teething, vacations, etc. So my advice is that if he's wide awake happy in the middle of the night just leave him alone and let him cry in his crib for a little while. Then he'll either fall back asleep (eventually-but it may be a long time) or you can go calm him down and he'll be tired and go back to sleep quickly again. Have you read any baby sleep books? I like Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Good luck! Hope it gets better soon!

Unknown said...

Give me a call tomorrow and we'll chat!! Also- have you bought the baby whisperer yet? If not- here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Baby-Whisperer-Connect-Communicate/dp/0345479092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315797434&sr=8-1