Thursday, May 10, 2012

Running

It's always been a love/hate thing for me but (ironically) as I was running the other day I realized I have been running since the 7th grade. In 7th & 8th grade, for P.E., they would make us run a mile once a week. Then my freshman year they would make us run around the track for an hour and a half (our high school had a block of 4 classes each and hour and a half long and then at the end of the semester we would switch and go to different classes). Then Sophomore year every Tues and Thurs we would have to run a cross country sprint. That SUCKED. Then Jr & Sr year I did aerobics.

The point to this long background history on my running is before Trent I was pretty healthy. I tried to not eat out as much and tried to work out here and there but nothing ever consistent. After I had Trent I realized that as the mom I have complete control over how my children will turn out, health wise. If I don't set the example on being healthy my children will only learn bad habits and acquire a taste for unhealthy things. I have to be healthy and I have to teach him how to be so he can be active and lead a healthy life. The desire to be healthier all started after new year's. I made resolution's to cook more and loose weight. At first I was only planning on doing this until I had lost the weight I wanted but as I have been doing this since Feb I realized that it's a lifestyle change that I need to stick with. Being active 4 times a week does not only keep me physically fit but it also gets me out and makes me a better mom. I use to hate running and to be honest it isn't my favorite thing to do but I do love how it challenges me and pushes me. 

One thing that's always been on my bucket list is to run an official 5k. I don't know why but I have just always wanted to do it. My friend told me about a 5k coming up in June in Springville and I was stoked but then realized the morning of the run is when Eric flies in from Cali. I was bummed for about 5 mins then realized there is another 5k coming up and it's here in Provo. It's on the 4th of July and it's called the Freedom Run. The reason I know this is because every year they start the race right outside my door and start playing music at 6 in the morning. When I didn't have Trent I didn't care but now it's like, turn that music off or I'll kill you. Anywho, I convinced my Dad and brother to run it with me and I am so excited. I know 3 miles isn't a lot but for me it is. I currently only run 2 so I am going to have to build up to it but I am hoping the day of the race the adrenaline will kick in. I will probably look like this during my run:



I know it will be challenging but It's something that I know I would regret if I didn't do. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You're an inspiration Chelsea. I'm working on getting into shape and staying healthy as well (especially with the nice weather.) Good luck on your 5k!

Becky Green said...

You can so totally do that! Before you know it, you'll be running marathons. :) Good luck! You're awesome.