Saturday, April 2, 2011

False labor...say wwwhhaa?!


I always thought growing up when you went into labor it was the basic your water breaks or you have contractions and then you have the baby. But just like anything else in pregnancy I come to find out there is more to the story. There is such a thing called "false labor." It basically means your body is having contractions and yes those contractions are hurting BUT they are irregular, unpredictable and aren't progressing which means you aren't actually going into labor. It's a cruel joke your body plays on you since it feels like it's finally that time but oh wait it's not! 
I had to learn this the hard way. Yesterday night towards the end of a wonderful bachelorette party for my younger sister Nicole I started having some pretty painful contractions. When I would have them I would get super nauseous, dizzy and I really started not feeling great. I left a little earlier than I had wanted to but after having them for a significant amount of time decided I should go home just in case I was going into labor. The whole drive from South Jordan to Provo I was having contractions and continuing to feel worse and worse. I came home and started timing them for the next 2 hours. They were painful but very sporadic so I decided to try and change positions to see if that would stop them but that didn't work. They kept coming but the contractions weren't getting stronger. After 3 hours I decided to call labor and delivery and they told me to try taking a bath. So I did and it seemed to slow the contractions down a lot. So I decided to try and get some sleep just in case little Trent decided later in the morning to make his appearance into the world. I go to sleep and it's not a super deep sleep so I can feel some contractions throughout the night but nothing that hurt too bad. Around 4:40 in the morning I woke up to a really bad contraction. They started coming fast and were a little more consistent than before and they really really hurt. After about an hour of some really painful contractions (to the point where I really couldn't talk and had to hold onto something) I decided to call labor and delivery again and they told me to come in. Eric and I packed our bags and right as we pulled into the parking lot my contractions started to ease up a bit. Just my luck. I go in they check me and tell me I was still 80% effaced and 2 cm dilated. ****Side note: I HATE being checked. It is so uncomfortable and the pressure is unbearable. But then again I could just be a wimp which is entirely possible.**** They hooked me up and watched me for an hour. My contractions were more consistent but only 5-7 mins apart. After the hour they checked me again and told me the baby was looking great and to go home as I was having false labor. False labor? Come again?! I thought once you had contractions it was time for baby to come out. How the heck could there be a thing called "false labor." Appalled that there is such a thing and that I was going through it I asked the nurse how long this false labor crap could last and she tells me I could be back in that day or it could be weeks. WEEKS?! Did she just say weeks?! Please don't let me be like this for weeks is all I was thinking. It was such an emotional morning and I had mentally prepared to deliver that baby that morning that it was such a depressing thing for me to hear. So after I realized nothing was happening that morning I accepted defeat and went home. It was a very long morning and needless to say I am not a fan of this false labor poo poo ca ca and think it's lame. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up so much especially since I am a week away from my actual delivery date but it was so hard not to. I know I should try and enjoy this time as this will really be the last time it's just Eric and I for a long long long time but it's so hard when you have been waiting for 9 months. But the good thing is Trent is blissfully unaware of everything and is doing wonderfully. False labor. baaaah

2 comments:

Kailey Baer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becca Gilbert said...

Gah! I'm sorry!!! I went through that twice thanks to my bp anytime I contracted for more than 2 hours I had to go in. It's the WORST to get sent home!!!! But I promise it's totally worth it when he comes!!!!!!! It's honestly the best thing ever! Can't wait to meet Trent!